I was browsing ths Google to see if theres this exact word for nuance and meaning 'As' for reasons or effects rather than comparisons, but I found none, example:

'As the sun slowly sets, Shin-Hye is walking on the streets to buy some tteokbokki before heading home'

To use, while, when, or since is pretty no no so, I need to know the right word or grammar for this word

These kinds of words are pretty nebulous and you won't find an exact match between different languages. I'm not sure if you're looking for a single Korean word that matches "as" in multiple different sentences, but if that is the case, there is no such a word.
    – jick
    Nov 23, 2023 at 23:08

1 Answer 1

Your example describes two things happening in parallel. Common expressions for that are -(을) 때 or -(으)면서 (less common), but these are like "when" or "while" which you want to exclude.

There are other phrases like -(으)ㅁ에 따라 or -는 가운데, which are typically used for events that are more closely tied or which have stronger cause-and-effect relationship.

E.g.

• 팬데믹이 끝나감에 따라 관광 산업이 다시 살아나기 시작했다 = As the pandemic came to an end, the tourism industry began a revival.
  • 많은 대기업이 뛰어드는 가운데 전기차 경쟁이 불붙었다 = As a slew of big companies jumped in / With a slew of big companies jumping in, electric vehicle competition got red hot.

The two events in your examples are not closely related. For such things connecting them with a simple -고 (and) might be more natural.

• 해는 뉘엿뉘엿 지고 신혜는 귀갓길에 떡볶이를 사려고 거리를 걷고 있다.

Or you can use -(으)ㄹ 때 (when, while, as) or -는 가운데 (as).

• 해가 뉘엿뉘엿 질 때 귀갓길의 신혜는 떡볶이를 사려고 거리를 걷고 있다.
  • 해가 뉘엿뉘엿 지는 가운데 귀갓길의 신혜는 떡볶이를 사려고 거리를 걷고 있다.

As you can see, there are multiple expressions with different nuances. You can't just blindly equate "as" with a single phrase.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.