everyone. I need some help to understand the function of a particle in the sentence

학생들이 나오는 게 수업이 다 끝난 것 같아요.

I understand its overall meaning. In the final part we have a guess (수업이 다 끝난 것 같아요) and in the first part we have a reason/evidence for that guess (학생들이 나오는 게). My doubt is in the word 게. If I am right, it is an abbreviated form of 것이. So, there is this subject particle 이 here, which indicates that the sentence 학생들이 나오는 것 is the subject of some action/descriptive verb. What is the verb associated to this subject?

I also found a second sentence which this same structure:

기침도 하고 열도 나는 게 감기에 걸릴 것 같아요.

Again, there is no problem understanding the meaning of the sentece. I just don't understand what the particle 이 is doing there. I don't know if I'm right but, as an intermmediate student, if I had elaborated these sentences myself, I would have used -(으)니까:

학생들이 나오니까 수업이 다 끝난 것 같아요,

or maybe -(느)ㄴ데:

기침도 하고 열도 나는데 감기에 걸릴 것 같아요.

These options, even if they are not correct, would sound more natural to me. But would never consider using 이.

• PS: right after I wrote this post, I found a third sentence: 날씨가 흐린 것이 오후에 비가 올 것 같아요. This particle 이 seems to come up often with the 것 같다 grammar.
    – DrOlliver
    Nov 11, 2023 at 16:26

1 Answer 1

학생들이 나오는 것이 수업이 다 끝난 것 같아요.

It can be thought of as [학생들이 나오는 것] =~ [수업이 다 끝난 것] since the subject particle 이/가 is often used to couple two things (e.g. 개는 포유류 동물이다 = A dog is a mammal). What it really means, however, is "Seeing that the students are coming out, it looks like the class is over". The first part gives a reason or background for the main clause. -을/를 보니(까) is probably the closest thing to "seeing that/as ...", as in 학생들이 나오는 것을 보니까 수업이 다 끝나 것 같아요.

• 학생들이 나오니까 수업이 다 끝난 것 같아요 is close in meaning but -니까 also has another usage which indicates direct cause and effect, as in 이 단추를 누르니까 커피가 나왔어요 = It dispensed coffee when I pushed this button. So the sentence has a slight possibility of ambiguity. -는 걸 보니까 on the other hand is free from ambiguities since 보다 doesn't really affect a reality in any way.

• 기침도 하고 열도 나는데 감기에 걸릴 것 같아요 is not a good way to say it because -는데 usually implies some tension or contradiction between the two clauses. 기침도 하고 열도 나는 게 is much more natural.

-는 게/것이 ... -는 것 같아요 / -는가 봐요 / -나 봐요 is a kind of idiom. It is used a lot, likely because it is the most succinct way to express the idea.

• So, when you wrote [학생들이 나오는 것] =~ [수업이 다 끝난 것] and 이/가 couples two things , what you were saying is that the sentece 학생들이 나오는 게 수업이 다 끝난 것 같아요 has the same strutucte as A이/가 B 같다 := [A] =~ [B]? I hope I didn't understand it wrong cause this way of thinking made totally sense to me. Thank you very much. I appreciate your answer.
    – DrOlliver
    Nov 16, 2023 at 23:31
  • I would say equating the two as when we say "A is/appears to be B" is with a little bit of simplification, because "XX이/가 YY-는 것 같아요" is most often used when XX actually does YY except that the speaker is not really sure about it, as in 저기 진수 씨가 오는 것 같아요 (It appears there's 진수 coming over there). The two things in out example is not quite as closely tied or have a subject-predicate relationship as in this example, so we might say it is an extended version of this simpler case.
    – Tony
    Nov 17, 2023 at 3:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.