I was chatting to a Korean gentlemen this morning, with whom I was speaking for the first time. Because I texted "안녕하세요" his first thought was I spoke Korean. So he asked me

엇 한국어 가능하세요

Which google translate translates as

Oh, do you speak Korean?

However I looked up on Naver dictionary the verb 가능하다, which apparently means "possible/practicable/feasable". I think is a combination of the noun 가능 (possible, feasable practicable,...) and 하다.

If I had to translate my self I would've written

엇 한국어를 할수 있어요?

I think the meaninig would be equivalent. Anyway... my questions are

1. Are the original sentence and my translation equivalent?
  2. Why the use of -세요? my understanding of the 아/어 + 세요 is to construct imperative, however when in interrogative sentences are constructed using such pattern I am not sure if the meaning changes.

2 Answers 2

예. 두 문장은 거의 같습니다.
Yes, those sentence are almost same.

-세요 의 의미는, 가능하시냐를 높여서 질문한 것 입니다. 저는 한국인이지만 문법적으로 이것이 이렇다고 설명할 능력이 없어서 참 곤란하네요.
-세요 means, politely ask "can you do something?" in interrogative sentence and also politely allow "you can do something" in Imperative sentences.

I'm even Korean, But I cannot tell you grammatically the principle. :)

하세요 is the Honorific Present conjugation of the verb 해요 -- so while both 해요 and 하세요 are formal, you can think of 하세요 as elevating the listener slightly.

가능 is used in a variety of circumstances so it makes sense that the translation is not quite one-to-one to its English usage. In the context of your conversation partner's response, 가능 means "able", so they are asking if you are "able" to speak/(do) Korean. Another way 가능 can be used with a similar meaning: 통화 가능? -- (Able to call?/Is it possible to call?).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.