How do you say , "goodbye forever" to someone? In sort of TV playful dramatic tone?

Example: You're boyfriend/girlfriend is leaving the country, or someone you won't see ever again.

Is it this? 영원히 안녕

2 Answers 2

I guess you're asking something like Adieu or Adios. I haven't heard of saying 영원히 안녕 though. Alternatively people says:

1. 잘 가 (or 안녕) (It still means goodbye, but it may mean adieu depending on the context.)
  2. 잘 지내 (or 잘 살아) (means 'I wish you live well')
  3. 행복해 (or 행복하게 살아) (means 'I wish you live happily')

There may be some others too.

If you really mean to say 'goodbye forever', you may say:

1. 영영 안녕 (means goodbye forever)
  2. 이젠 안녕 (means goodbye (forever) now)
  • @mattsmith5 Koreans never say "goodbye forever". They just say bye or goodbye in such situations you mentioned. They may say it with slightly different tone. Anyway depending on the situation or the context, the same 'goobye' or 'bye' may mean 'goodbye forever'. Or you may say alternatively as I listed above.
    – Kay K.
    Jul 10, 2023 at 3:41
  • interesting, google translate and papago say "영영 안녕" means goodbye everyone, however those translators can be incorrect
    – mattsmith5
    Jul 10, 2023 at 5:47
  • @mattsmith5 Considering that "영영 안녕" is rarely used in Korean, the mistranslation probably happened because you didn't specify an audience: the translator translated "영영 안녕" as bye and then added a random audience (Everyone). Additionally, the reason Korean don't say '영원히 안녕' is most likely because '안녕' in Korean is a momentary greeting. On the other hand, '지내' is continuous, so a sentence like '안녕, 잘 지내' is more appropriate.
    – user_A
    Jul 10, 2023 at 9:29
    @user_A The reason why Koreans don't say "영원히 안녕" is probably same to why Americans don't say " Goodbye forever" (do they say that?). I think that Koreans don't say "영원히 안녕", because if they do it would sounds like a curse (i.e. I'll never see you again). They sometimes say "이제 못 보겠네" (we may not be able to see again), which is a quite different meaning, i.e. it actually implies "(I hope to see you again if I can but,) we may not be able to see again". It's very different from "I will never see you again".
    – Kay K.
    Jul 10, 2023 at 13:55
    They may say "이젠 다시 보지 말자" (Let's not see again) or "너 다시는 안볼거야" (I'll never see you again), but those are all bad meanings. Someone might say that "영원히 안녕" is neutral and doesn't reflect the person's will, but I think that it reflects the person's will (i.e. the person intends to not see again somehow) to a certain degree, because otherwise how he/she knows if they will bump into each other in the future?
    – Kay K.
    Jul 10, 2023 at 14:02

"영원희 안녕" could be a literal translation and I don't think it's weird to say. Probably it could be very attractive and/or famous to say depends on TV show's context and who speaks when/whom under certain situation. In Korean language, "결별" could imply something like "forever goodbye"... but it would sound weird someone say 결별 in the TV show. It's more written language style I guess?

• yeah, I was trying to find something thats dramatic from a soap opera romantic tv show
    – mattsmith5
    Jul 11, 2023 at 0:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.