I am trying to translate:

I always start working after exercising Or equivalently I always exercise before start working Or (sligthly different) I cannot work if I don't exercise

My attempt:

저는 우동하고 나서 일하기를 비롯해요

Explaining my attempt

1. I am using the pattern ~고 나너 to express temporal sequence between clauses.
  2. On the verb 일하다 I am attaching ~기 to the stem so I get the noun 일하기 (working). Also I've further used the object particle ~를
  3. In the dictionary I've found 비롯하다 as "to begin/to start".

For the third variation I gave:

만일 우동 안 하고 일하수 없어요

Where I am using the sentential adverb 만일. Also 고 expresses to me "then" and finally the pattern 수 없다" to express inability to perform. Maybe I could've used the conjunctional adverb 그리고 to say "then"

Is it correct? What are my mistakes

• 만일 운동 안 하면 일할 수 없어요. '만일' indicates an assumption. Which should be followed by a corresponding ending. Therefore, it should end with '~면'. Also if you want to use '수', it should be 일할 수 (있다/없다). Or just use 일하지 못해요.
    – Bihrang
    Jun 12, 2023 at 6:53
  • @Bihrang 일아지 못해요 instead of what? the whole sentence? Jun 12, 2023 at 7:10
  • 만일 운동 안 하면 [일할 수 없어요. / 일하지 못해요.]
    – Bihrang
    Jun 12, 2023 at 9:51
  • In English "I always start working after exercising" isn't a natural expression. Taken literally, it could mean that while I frequently work, on those rare occasions that I happen to exercise, afterward I get a sudden urge to do some work. I think your intended meaning is "I always exercise before working.". In general, the "always" part of a sentence is the result of the other part, not the cause. Compare with "I always hiccup when I eat peppers" (because they irritate my diaphragm) and "I always eat peppers when I hiccup" (because they cure the problem). Jul 31, 2023 at 23:49

1 Answer 1

I always start working after exercising.
저는 언제나 (or 항상) 운동하고 나서 일하기 시작해요.
저는 늘 운동을 한 다음에 일하기 시작해요.

비롯하다 is a very formal word which means "to start" only in certain contexts, like describing an important event. You will almost never hear it in this sense in a real life situation. 시작하다 is the word that is at least a thousand times more common, especially when talking about routine things as in your example.

-고 나서 and -(으)ㄴ 다음에/뒤에/후에 are all common phrases for "after (doing something)".

I cannot work if I don't exercise.
(만일) 운동(을) 안 하면 일할 수(가) 없어요.
(만일) 운동하지 않으면 일을 못해요.

An "if" clause translates to -(으)면. 만일 adds the sense that it is an unlikely case, so it is not really necessary in a routine description like this.

운동(을) 안 하면, 운동(을) 하지 않으면, 운동하지 않으면 are all variations of the same phrase having to do with contraction. 일할 수(가) 없어요, 일을 하지 못해요, 일하지 못해요 are all similar too since -(으)ㄹ 수(가) 없다 and -지 못하다 have about the same meaning in this context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.