I am watching 삼진그룹 영어토익반 and I saw the following line with an ending that I had not seen before:

이제 일 좀 하려나 했더니 TL: I thought you'd finally be useful, and what?

There is 려나 보다 which could fit, but I do not think they are the same.

So what is happening here? What does 려나 하다 mean?

1 Answer 1

One of the most common meaning of the auxiliary verb “하다”—I’m not talking about the ordinary verb “하다” meaning “to do”—that follows some conjugations, is “to think,” “생각하다.” When you see such “…(something) 하다,” it might, and often, mean “…(something) 생각하다,” “to think that (something).”

The ending “-려고 하나?”/“-려고 하나” or its contraction “-려나?”/“-려나” translates to “(Is it/Is he/Are you/Are they/…) about to—?”, and is used, as a question to ask someone, or as a personal guess to ask oneself.

이제 네가 일 좀 하려(고 하)나

“Now, are you about to get to work?”

It can be either “하려나” or “하려고 하나.” It’s a personal guess, asking oneself. Note that the Korean language has lots of talking-to-self forms to express one’s thought, integrated into its grammar. (Just like Japanese, if you’re familiar with it.)

(생각)했더니

I thought … and …

The past form of “하다,” “했다,” and the conjunction “-더니,” “and.” The implied meaning of the “했다” is “생각했다,” “I thought.”

이제 네가 일 좀 하려(고 하)나 (생각)했더니

I was like, “Now, are you going to get to work?”, and …

I thought you’d finally be useful, and …

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.