In researching commonly used sports terms.

1. What is more commonly used for "Boxing" in Korea? 권투 or 복싱? My teacher says 복싱 is used more these days. 권투 is more traditional.

2. How about Weightlifting? 역도 or 근력 운동 ?

I tried looking through numerous resources, and couldn't find the more common usage.

2 Answers 2

1. 권투 and 복싱 are both frequently used. But I can agree with your teacher's opinion enough. But you don't have to worry about the difference of usage, there are almost same. I think it is useless to compare the using frequency of two words.

2. Weightlifting corresponds to 역도, not 근력 운동. 역도 is a kind of 근력 운동, which means just 'exercise of muscle'. You should distinguish them.

권투 is boxing (the sport).

역도 is weightlifting as sport (e.g., in the Olympics).

근력 운동 isn't exactly weightlifting: it literally means "muscular power exercise," i.e., the kind of exercise that helps you build muscles. It's usually contrasted with 유산소 운동 (aerobic exercise), such as jogging, which are thought to help more with your heart, lungs, and general stamina.

• nm, sorry I misspelled , this boxing 복싱
    – mattsmith5
    Apr 27, 2023 at 18:59
  • do they use 복싱 or 권투 more?
    – mattsmith5
    Apr 27, 2023 at 19:00
  • Hmm... just searching on Google suggests 복싱 is more popular these days, but I'm not totally sure (not living in Korea right now). I'll defer to others.
    – jick
    Apr 27, 2023 at 20:36
  • I see '복싱' more frequently than '권투' these days. But '권투' is still used more in conversations, though.
    – Bihrang
    Apr 28, 2023 at 10:35
  • whats the google trend link? @jick
    – mattsmith5
    Apr 29, 2023 at 7:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.