Since 고-led CP is comparable to DP, I am wondering whether it can be followed by any case marker. Moreover, since there are sentences such as 갔다고만 말했다. or 갔다고도 말했다., where the 고 is followed by some delimiter, it seems plausible that it can be followed by a case marker as well. For example, can I say something like this? 갔다고를 말했다.

• No, that's not grammatical.
    – jick
    Dec 31, 2022 at 19:24

1 Answer 1

No, 갔다고를 is never used as far as I know.

The reason is because such a 를 adds nothing. 갔다고 말했다 means someone "said that they went", with 갔다고 already acting as a direct object of 말했다. 걌다고 adds the sense of only that, and 갔다고 that as well. 갔다고 would make it they said that at least. All these adds some useful nuance whereas 갔다고를 would mean exactly the same thing as 갔다고. So there is absolutely no reason to add 를.

• Also, we can probably argue that "갔다고" isn't even an object - it's a complement of the verb, but that doesn't necessarily make it an object. Consider a phrase like "라면 먹고 가라고 친구를 불렀다", which contains both a phrasal complement and an object.
    – jick
    Jan 4, 2023 at 21:16
  • Yes, it can take different grammatical role. For example, it is a complement in a phrase like A를 B라고 부르다 = A를 B로 부르다 = Call A B. In 라면 먹고 가라고 친구를 불렀다, the -라고 clause might even be adverbial too (like a shortened 라면 먹고 가라고 하며), since it doesn't appear tightly connected with 부르다 and should be distinguished from structures like A를 B라고 부르다, I suppose grammar doesn't have a precise answer for all cases.
    – Tony
    Jan 5, 2023 at 4:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.