I want to use thee verb 살다 and express: "let us live together" [literally: with-me together let's-live]

1. Formal Levels:

Hasoseo-che (하소서체)

저랑 같이 사사사이다

Hasipsio-che (하십시오체)

저랑 같이 사십니다

저랑 같이 사시지요

Hao-che (하오체)

Unavailable

Hage-che (하게체)

나랑 같이 사세

Haera-che(해라체)

나랑 같이 살자

1. Informal Levels:

Haeyo-che (해요체)

Unavailable

Hae-che (해체)

나랑 같이 살자니까

Please let me know if i have made any mistake ! Thank you !

You should take into account 'ㄹ-drop', so they should be 사소서*, 삽시다/사십시다*, 사시지요*, 사시오*, 사세*, 살자, 살아요*, 살아* (* marks corrections).
    – krim
    Nov 28, 2022 at 21:22
  • I agree with krim Nov 29, 2022 at 1:50
  • Thank @krim have edited it ! Nov 29, 2022 at 6:42
  • @krim I believe “사사이다” (“청유법,” indicating offers or suggestions) fits more than “사소서” (“명령법,” indicating orders and commands) here. Nov 30, 2022 at 20:45
  • The “Let-us” form of “살다” in the “…하소서” register is “사사이다.” The conjugation “-(으)사이다” is used. Nov 30, 2022 at 20:47

1 Answer 1

First, 살다 is a ㄹ-irregular verb, which means ㄹ drops and 살 becomes 사 before ㄴ,ㅂ, or ㅅ, like 사는 instead of 살으는 and 사세요 instead of 살으세요, etc (ㄹ stays on before the other consonants, as in 살면, 살아서, 살자). So the conjugated forms you listed should be 사사이다, 사십니다, 사시지요, 사세, 살자, and 살자니까.
(note: 사르 is even worse than 살으 which might be used in certain contexts like songs and poems).

Also, 사사이다 is never used in modern Korean. Nowadays 하소서체 survives only in religious prayers, but since you wouldn't say "Let's do something" to God, we can say 사사이다 is never used.

More important than the above is how you say it in 해요체 though. You marked it as "unavailable", but shouldn't there be a propositive mood in such a commonly used speech form as 하소서체?

Well, there is no separate grammar form for it, but the common -아/어요 is also used for 청유 (proposition/suggestion, like "Let us ..."), in addition to the usual 설명 (explanation), 의문 (question), and 명령 (order). Typically, it is preceded by 우리 or 같이 or both (e.g. 우리 (같이) 영화 보러 가요 = Let's go to the movies), but even without such a phrase it usually means a action proposition (e.g. 늦었으니까 택시 타요 = Let's take a cab since we're late). This is because often only a proposition/suggestion makes sense when the implied subject is the speaker and the listener, since you wouldn't normally need to describe or question what the two of you're doing.

The same is also true for 해체 (우리 영화 보러 가), except that the usage is not as widespread in this case since it also has the commonly used -자 form.

• Thank you Tony will just change it ! Nov 29, 2022 at 6:38
  • Can't you use 하소서체 with royalty ? You never know Joseon royal family might just come back . Nov 29, 2022 at 6:48
  • I don't go to church, but I believe they still use the 하소서체 at church when praying to the Lord. No one else uses em Nov 29, 2022 at 7:27
  • @Japanese Learner. Royal family is not honored at all ever since Korea became a democratic republic in 1948. The last of them might have received some recognition in the 1930s to 1940s, but not after that, as far as I know.
    – Tony
    Nov 29, 2022 at 16:54
  • Also, even in the extremely unlikely case Joseon's royal family makes a comeback, they will have to re-invent the royal verbal customs, because nobody alive remembers how to talk to royals "properly." Even a king can't just order people to use certain grammar, if people have forgotten how to use it.
    – jick
    Nov 29, 2022 at 19:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.