I am trying to make sense of the grammar behind ~ㄹ/을 때 for past sentences.

As far as I know, ~ㄹ/을 때 is making use of the future tense modifier, used for example for the common construction ~(으)ㄹ 거예요, and it feels a bit strange to use the future tense modifier with the past verb stem (먹었을 때) in order to say "when I ate" instead of the past tense modifier (먹은 때) that you would normally use for something like 먹은 음식 (the food that I ate).

1 Answer 1

In addition to the perfectly scoped answer from @user13229973 , I just wanted to add that from linguists' perspective, using past tense in expressing conditional (or non-/counter-factual) modality is actually quite common in many languages, for example specifically in English, there is the past subjunctive "were" (often called "irreal/irrealis" mood by linguists).

As a quick note on mood (서법) and modality (양태) in Korean: many Korean linguists agree that the modern Korean language generally lacks grammatical markers (mood) for expressing modality. However, some argue that complementary usage of -ㅁ vs -기 (in nominalization) and -ㄴ vs -ㄹ (in attribution) show they are "weak" mood markers for epistemic modalities. Some of them also argue they are residue of middle-age Korean which is believed to have more explicit mood markers in a broader conjugational range.

For what it's worth, here are some random examples of -ㄴ, -ㄹ (or even -ㅆ- + -ㄹ) used as more mood markers than tense markers.

• 먹을 때에는 식사예절을 지키세요 (temoporal overlap)
  • *먹은 때에는 식사예절을 지키세요
  • ?먹은 때에는 양치를 하세요 (temporal "after")
  • 먹은 후에는 양치를 하세요 (temporal "after")
  • 먹었을 때에는 양치를 하세요 (temporatal "after")
  • 조용히 먹을 것 (deontic) (also as see https://korean.stackexchange.com/a/3430/358)
  • 지금쯤이면 먹은 줄 알았지 (epistemic necessity)
  • 지금쯤이면 먹을 줄 알았지 (epistemic possibility)
  • 젊을 때 다쳤어요 (temporal overlap)
  • *젊은 때 다쳤어요
  • ?젊었던/젊던 때 다쳤어요
  • 젋었을 때 다쳤어요 (temporal overlap)
  • 젊을 때는 다 그래 (generic youth, that's the way it is for the youth)
  • ?젊었을 때는 다 그래
  • 젊었을 때 얘기해 주세요 (your specific youth, tell me about your old days)
  • ?젊을 때 얘기해 주세요
  • 시간될 때 얘기해 주세요 (conditional, talk to me when you're available)
  • 시간되는 때 얘기해 주세요 (attribution, tell me the time you're available)

(*: unacceptable, ?: marginal/unnatural, subjectively judged by me)

• This. The examples really help. Aug 19, 2022 at 3:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.