Do korean structure suffixes have any meaning alone or they only have meaning when used with verbs, adjectives, etc?

For example V+곤 하다. Does "곤 하다" have any meaning alone as an expression? I know "하다" has meaning alone, as a verb, but I've never seen "곤" alone.

I could also make this question for every structure suffix that there is: do they have meaning alone or they are more like particles: meaningless alone?

1 Answer 1

"곤 하다" doesn't have any meaning alone as an expression.

For example, at least it must be used with "하". ("하곤 한다" / "하고는 한다")

"곤" stands for "고는". and it doesn't have meaning alone.

• Got it. Thanks a lot. Are there any of these suffixes that have meaning alone? Or maybe you have any surce I can check to know more about this and the ethimology of these suffixes? I am curious about this because Korean is the first language I am aware of that has this type of meaningless words used for grammarly purpouses. Jul 7, 2022 at 11:25
  • Suffixes don't have meaning alone. It should be used with a verb. 하고는 한다(~고는 한다), 빠르기는 하다(~기는 하다). 그렇기는 하다(기는 하다). Have you seen the sentence that uses only suffixes?
    – Lazyer
    Jul 8, 2022 at 0:42
  • Not really, I was just curious about it. Jul 8, 2022 at 2:55
    Goood. I hope your confusion be reduced.
    – Lazyer
    Jul 8, 2022 at 3:00
    I don't remember using that more than 30 years in Korea. If that really exists, it would be a very unusual or exceptional case.(for example, a newly coined word) If you find it, please write a comment. I'll check it out.
    – Lazyer
    Jul 11, 2022 at 5:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.