Recently I was studying and saw the verb 이다 being written along with the object, like 저는 한국 사람입니다, but I have also seen it written apart (as I thought was the correct form), like this 저는 한국 사람 입니다. Can someone please clear this for me? F.Y.I, I'm an asbolute beginner.

1 Answer 1

In principle, the copula -(이)다 must be written together with its content word (한글맞춤법 5.1.41: 조사는 그 앞말에 붙여 쓴다).

In many languages, copulas can be a separate word. In Korean, however, that's not the case, at least in the standard Korean. But if you specifically ask if -(이)다 is a verb, the answer falls in a gray area. Technically, many Korean linguists (including the standard Korean) categorize it as merely a suffix (조사, more specifically sub-categorize as 서술격 조사, a special part of speech that has only a single member, -이다), while functionally and conjugation-wise it works as an independent predicate word (용언, such as verbs).

From the point of viewing it as a predicate word, -(이)다 can be actually decomposed into the root -이- and the ending -다. Then it makes perfect sense that -이- can be conjugated with other endings, for example;

• 사람 + 이 + 다
  • 사람 + 이 + ㅂ니다
  • 사람 + 이 + 야
  • 사람 + 이 + ㄹ까

However, note that -(이)다 can be shortened into just -다 when following a complement that has no 종성. For example,

• 나는 한국 사람이다.
  • 나는 한국 여자이다.
  • 나는 한국 여자다.
  • *나는 한국 사람다

But this "shortening" can be a problem from the point of viewing -(이)다 as a word, in that, then it would be the only predicate that can have a null root. Similarly with other endings,

• 여자 + ∅ + 다 = 여자다
  • 여자 + ∅ + ㅂ니다 = 여잡니다
  • 여자 + ∅ + 야 = 여자야
  • 여자 + ∅ + ㄹ까 = 여잘까

Analytically, these look fine. But can you call a word without a root a word?

In conclusion, if -(이)다 is an independent word/verb, it should be written with a space between it and its complement (한글맞춤법 1.1.2: 문장의 각 단어는 띄어 씀을 원칙으로 한다). Linguistically, there are evidence and counter-evidence to this argument. But, at the end of the day, the standard Korean recognizes it not as a word but only as a suffix, and hence there must be no space.

• Thank you for your answer. But now I have another one: 이다 is not a verb? Jun 26, 2022 at 18:10
  • Updated the answer.
    – krim
    Jun 27, 2022 at 19:36
  • Wow, that's helpful, thanks a lot Jun 28, 2022 at 16:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.