I am a total beginner for Korean and want to take notes for the vowels and consonnes I am learning like "eu" and "eo", or "k". What is a standard and convenient input method on a Macbook ? Below are the input methods I can use from my Mac.

Input methods for Korean

2 Answers 2

We commonly use 2-Set Korean layout(dubeolsik, 두벌식, KS X 5002) on the QWERTY layout. Of course you can choose 3-Set Korean layout(sebeolsik, 세벌식), but There might be less informations about that.

Maybe this Apple support document might help you.
https://support.apple.com/guide/korean-input-method/korean-hangul-input-method-user-guide-him001/mac

If the OP plans to type Hangul in other OS's (windows, android, ios, etc), probably 두벌식 is THE standard layout.
    – krim
    May 29 at 17:54
  • @krim is right. In fact, 3-Set Korean Keyboard layout is not a standard. But, Korean stenographer, especially those belonging to the Korean National Assembly or courts, are using it a lot thanks to its fast typing speed... So I think we might be considered it as a de-facto standard?
    – Lee M.U.
    May 30 at 6:12
    I agree that 세벌식 layouts are widely used and a de facto standard. I just wanted to point out that, on other platforms (especially on mobile OS's), 세벌식 layouts might not be so available as 두벌식 is. Not to mention "roman-based" layouts which are not even remotely standard-ish.
    – krim
    May 31 at 16:41

If you are used to a QWERTY keyboard layout, then the HNC Romaja input method may be the most straightforward to use.

At any rate, the “Show Keyboard Viewer” function can be helpful.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.