In a Korean book, I read a sentence like this:

최선을 다해 노력하는 사람이 성공하는 법이에요

In the phrase "다해 노력하는", I think the author used the grammar 아/어서 (다하다 + 아/어서 + 노력하다). Can I replace this with "다하려고 노력하다"? Thank you!

2 Answers 2

Your analysis of the structure is correct, but changing it to 다하려고 노력하는 will make it worse if anything.

-아/어서 and -려고 are distinctly different verb phrases. -아/어서 can express a reason or background information (피곤해서 일찍 잤다), or a means or manner of the action of the subsequent verb (경보를 울려서 위험을 알렸다 = Alerted people to the danger by sounding the alarm). It can also mean the first stage of a two-stage action (무를 썰어서 무 무침을 만들었다), but even in this case the actions are closely connected).

-려고 always indicates an intention or purpose of the action that follows, so it is usually not interchangeable with -아/어서. The -아/어서 verb happens before or at the same time as the other verb, whereas -려고 verb cannot have already occurred since it is the objective of the following verb.

So,

1. 최선을 다해 노력하는 사람이 성공하는 법이에요 = Those who try (with) their best are bound to succeed.
  2. 최선을 다하려고 노력하는 사람이 성공하는 법이에요 = Those who try to do their best are bound to succeed.

To me, even though both are grammatically fine and might even sound alike, #2 is a little redundant because it is saying they're exerting their efforts into "doing their best". #1 is the more natural expression showing the manner ("doing their best") in which they are trying something. In the broad sense, though, #2 can also be used, just not as common as #1.

• I understood it. Thank you very much!
    – Thai Trinh
    Dec 22, 2021 at 7:50

The meaning would change a bit if you'd replace it like that.

You're right about the grammar used; it's -아/어(서).

최선을 다해 노력하는 사람

Someone who does their very best ("while making an effort", which is superfluous/unnatural in English)

최선을 다하려고 노력하는 사람

Someone who [makes an effort/tries] to do their best

• Your answer is very understandable to me. Thank you!
    – Thai Trinh
    Dec 22, 2021 at 7:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.