I've seen 등 inputted after listing something, and I think I understand what it means, but I can't find sentences showing what to write after that. How do I continue on the sentence after writing 등?

It would really help if you wrote a variety of sentences using 등 so I can get the gist of it.

Thanks!!

• It means “et cetera” and you would probably want a subject marker (the entire list being a subject), an object marker (it being an object), or a comma (providing extra information on a group of things) with it. Sep 3 at 17:21

Here are some examples that show the usage of 등.

갑각류는 게, 가재, 새우, 따깨비 의 절지동물을 말한다.
Crustaceans mean arthropods such as crabs, lobsters, shrimps, barnacles and so on.

동남아시아는 아시아의 남동부를 지칭하며 베트남, 필리핀, 인도네시아, 태국 의 나라를 포함한다.
Southeast Asia refers to the Southeastern part of Asia which includes countries like Vietnam, The Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, and so on.

홍수, 산불, 태풍 많은 천재지변이 발생하고 있다.
A great number of natural disasters are occurring, including floods, forest fires, and typhoons.

The third example might be particularly interesting because it puts [홍수, 산불, 태풍 등] and [많은 천재지변] in an appositive relation. 등 is often used like this. The other examples can also drop 의 after 등 this way, but unlike the third one, they seem to sound better with it included.

• Like, the first two being restrictive (by the particle “의”) and the other being not? Sep 4 at 9:45
  • Yes, I suppose that might be the reason.
    – user591415
    Sep 4 at 17:09
  • @user591415 thank you! This was very helpful :D
    – starlly
    Sep 14 at 8:35

등 mean "and so on" or "and or that"

for example 커피, 차 등이 점심식사로 제공될 것입니다. coffee, tea and all that will be served for lunch

• Ahh I get it now, thank you!
    – starlly
    Sep 14 at 8:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.