I actually don't use 네이버 국어사전 usually, but using another dictionary, as in here: http://dict.hjenglish.com/kr/

Here, the dependent noun 바 was explained like this:

1. Matter (I think similar to 일)(Which exists in the form of 'ㄴ/은/는/ㄹ/을 바')

Examples:

다 아는 바와 같이 --> As all knows, ...
네가 알 바가 아니다. --> Not the matters that you should know.
어찌 할 바를 모르다 --> No idea how one should do
  1. Situation (A and B are bad, but I would rather choose B)

Examples:

할 말 못하고 살 바에는 차라리 죽는 게 낫지. 
--> Being unable to speak even one word, I would rather die.
어차피 쓰지 못할 바에는 버리는 게 낫다. 
--> Being unable to use, it would be better to throw it away.
  1. To emphasize the speaker's stance (Exists in the form of '는 바이다')

Examples:

오인은 잘못을 시인하는 바이다. --> I WILL admit my wrongs.

The second and third one are easier to understand, as revealed in the explanations and the examples. However, I am not sure how the first one should be used, and how it differs from 일.

The Naver dictionary splits the first meaning into two:

1. 앞에서 말한 내용 그 자체나 일 따위를 나타내는 말. (The speech previously uttered itself, or speeches that show the kind of works?)

Examples:

평소에 느낀 바를 말해라.
각자 맡은 바 책임을 다하라.
나라의 발전에 공헌하는 바가 크다. 
  1. (어미 ‘-을’ 뒤에 쓰여) 일의 방법이나 방도.

Examples:

어찌할 바를 모르다
나아갈 바를 밝히다
눈 둘 바를 모르다.  

Naver dictionary gave me a clearer explanation, however I still could not grasp the first meaning.

For the second meaning, please clarify how 바를 모르다 can be differentiated from 줄 모르다.

Any help is much appreciated.

In the first meaning, think of 바 as equivalent to 것. It's a general noun-ifier, to make verbs behave as nouns grammatically. It can be translated into English as "what" or "the thing which". If I literally translate the first examples, it'll be more clear to you:

123 바와4 같이5 --> Like5 the thing4 which3 all1 knows2, 3
네가123 바가4 아니다5. --> It's not5 the thing4 which3 you1 should know2. = It's not what you should know.

This one is a little different, since it can't be translated into English word-by-word.

어찌할 바를 모르다 --> Do not know how one should behave.

Explanation: You want to say that you don't know "how one should behave (=어찌하다)", but unlike English, where "how-clause"s are treated like a noun and thus become an object of the sentence, Korean 어찌 is just an adverb and can't be used like "*어찌하를 모르다" or something like this. You need a nounifier, to take the "how-clause" as an object for the predicate 모르다. 바 comes here. By saying "어찌할 바", it's effectively a noun and can be safely taken as an object.

어찌할 바를 모르다 and 어찌할 줄(을) 모르다 are used interchangeably.

| improve this answer | |
  • To give '것'-substituted examples, 다 아는 것과 같이;네가 알 것이 아니다; 어찌할 것을 모르겠다(어찌할지 suits better here); 할 말 못하고 사는 '것' 보다는 차라리 죽는 '것'이 낫지; 어차피 쓰지 못한 '것'(situation)이면 버리는 '것'이 낫다. - see that the 'rather' sentences are symmetric. ; (내가 지금 하고 있는 일은) 잘못을 시인하는 것이다; 평소에 느낀 것을 말하라; 각자 맡은 것을(책임을) 다하라; 나라의 발전에 공헌한 것이 크다; 어찌할 것을 모르다 (again, 지 is better) and so on.... So, the first and second usages can be derived from each other naturally. – Hoseung Choi Aug 15 '16 at 17:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.