Is it correct to say "이거는 사괍니다?

By "say," if you mean "pronounce": yes, it often gets contracted. If you mean "spell": officially no, except for a direct transcription of what was actually spoken. Jul 1 at 19:12

사과 is a noun

ㅂ니다 is used to end a formal sentence by adding it to a verb without 받침

ㅂ니다 is never added to a noun

The correct form of your question is 이것은 사과입니다.

• Thank you but what do you mean when you say "by adding it to a very"? And in the correct form of my question that you've written, shouldn't 사과 and 입니다 be in the same word?
    – Ema Tavox
    Jun 30 at 20:33
    @ematavox see edit
    – user17915
    Jul 1 at 0:06

It is correct, though I think it's less common in writing. The root "-이-" if the copula is frequently omitted after a vowel, though exactly how often depends on what follows after that. E.g.,

저것은 책이다 / 저것은 학교다 (OK) / 저것은 학교이다 (OK?)

저게 책이냐? / 저게 학교냐? (OK) / 저게 학교이냐? (weird)

In both case, "학교이다" and especially "학교이냐" sound less natural to me. So, in the same vein, "사과입니다" can become "사괍니다" - however, unlike the examples above, in this case I think "사과입니다" is considered "better", especially when writing.

Also there are cases where -이- cannot be omitted at all, even after a vowel:

일등인 사람 / 둘째인 사람 (OK) / 둘짼 사람 (X: can only mean "둘째는 사람이다")

See also: 국립국어원, 나무위키

• I don't know if you've considered it, but remember that I'm talking only abiut the specific formal 입니다\ㅂ니가 form.
    – Ema Tavox
    Jul 2 at 11:17
  • I believe the best way to understand a specific form is to compare it with other similar forms and see how they behave similarly or differently.
    – jick
    Jul 2 at 17:53
  • Ok, but instead I asked you 😅
    – Ema Tavox
    Jul 3 at 7:15
    I think they’re different cases. Unlike “-이다” and “-다,” the ending “-ᆸ니다” cannot be appended to a noun, according to its official (the NIKL’s) definition. Jul 4 at 5:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.