I have a short dialogue like this:

와, 스카프네요

올가을에 유행한다고 해요. 디엠 씨도 멋쟁이가 되어 보라고 드리는 거예요.

What does "디엠 씨도 멋쟁이가 되어 보라고 드리는 거예요" mean? I can't understand this sentence because it has the phrase "라고 드리는 거예요"

The -라고 here still has a sense of quotation, just that the thing being quoted is something that hasn't actually been said. Basically "I'm giving it (the scarf) with the meaning of 'try becoming a cool person'". It is fairly common to use 라고 like this, quoting something that wasn't explicitly said but easily could have been said/conveys the person's intentions.

• Thank you so much!
    – Thai Trinh
    Jun 29 at 11:35
Connective ending “-라고” indicates the purpose of the following clause.

디엠 씨도 멋쟁이가 되어 봄” (“—for 디엠 to be a dapper person, too.”) is the reason why “(제가) (디엠 씨에게) (스카프를) 드리는 거예요.” (“I give you that—”).

“디엠 씨도 멋쟁이가 되어 보라고 (제가 디엠 씨에게 스카프를) 드리는 거예요.”

• “I give you that for you to look dapper, too.”
  • “I give you that because I want you to look dapper, too.”

Thanks, but I thought 라고 is used for indirect quotations (=라고 하다), so why "connective ending “-라고” denotes the purpose of the following clause."?
    – Thai Trinh
    Jun 26 at 14:00
    @ThaiTrinh I asked NIKL about that, and yes, it is “-라고⁵,” that is used for indirect quotation. I got confused as well: it was not “taken” from somewhere else; how come it is “quotation?” Other unofficial Korean dictionaries (that are not the canonical one, “표준 국어 대사전.”) clearly differentiate such a sense from the quotational sense of the word…. Anyways, you can just think it as having another sense other than quotation. Jun 28 at 15:15
    Thank you so much!
    – Thai Trinh
    Jun 29 at 11:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.