From what I understood, if I want to talk about my teacher with my friend I have to use the honorific informal form, but how do I create this form? Do I just remove 다 from the verb to then make it become 시다 that conjugated at the informal present becomes 셔. For example 가다 becomes 가셔. And when the root ends with a consonant do I use 으시다 that then becomes 으셔. Is this correct?

1 Answer 1


Yes. Except for some words that you have to use different words instead when putting into honorific forms.

  • “먹다” →
    • “먹으셔” (from “먹다”) (incorrect)
    • “드셔” (from “들다”) (correct)
    • “잡수셔” (from “잡수다”) (correct)
  • 1
    Ok, as you told me I'll have to sometimes use special honorific verbs with the honorific form. Do I use these only when I'm directly referring to people with higher social status or, for example, also when I'm referring to myself while I'm speaking with them?
    – Ema Tavox
    Jun 30, 2021 at 21:47
  • @EmaTavox Only when you’re referring to them. It’s never used to describe what oneself’s doing, unless you’re being sarcastic. Jul 1, 2021 at 1:56
  • 1
    @EmaTavox I mean, the honorific forms. You don’t refer to yourself with honorific forms. Jul 1, 2021 at 2:11
  • 1
    Thank you so much.
    – Ema Tavox
    Jul 1, 2021 at 8:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.