Damsel in distress is used as a phrase to mean a woman who needs to be rescued by a man. Damsel is a woman with victim mentality.

• Err... I think damsel just means a young lady.
    – jick
    May 18, 2021 at 7:00
  • @jick Damsel might be a young lady but "damsel in distress" is a phrase which means a young woman who is in trouble and needs a man's help. (from Cambridge Dictionary) May 20, 2021 at 7:57
  • Well, yes, "damsel in distress" is such a phrase, but the word "damsel" doesn't mean "in distress" - also, there's a difference between "in distress/in trouble" and "victim mentality" ...
    – jick
    May 20, 2021 at 21:42
  • What I meant is that the Damsel in "Damsel in distress" has victim mentality May 27, 2021 at 10:14

1 Answer 1

There isn't a perfect phrase in Korean that holds meaning & a broader tone of "Damsel in distress".

Some phrases that I can think of are below.

• 위기에 빠진 여성
  • 붙잡힌 아가씨
  • 곤경에 빠진 그녀

You would almost rarely use or hear these phrases in real-life conversations similar to how you seldom use "Damsel in distress", but they can be sometimes found in writings, literature, books, or movies.

• I agree with this answer. You can also refer to the Korean Wikipedia Page for this phrase. ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/…
    – fosinsight
    May 18, 2021 at 19:21
  • Hmm... that Wikipedia page needs some serious cleanup. Also 비탄 (grief/anguish) is probably not the correct word to use here...
    – jick
    May 19, 2021 at 17:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.