So I am listening to TTMIK’s Iyagi #14 about Taxis where 현우 is talking with 경은 about how taxi drivers in the provinces often use 반말 in contrast to their more polite Seoul counterparts:

기분이 나쁘지 않은 게, 처음에는 기분이 나쁠 수 있었는데, 갈 때마다 그러는 거예요, 지방에 갈 때마다 경주도 그랬고, 광주도 그랬고 또 광주는 그 광주 사투리가 있잖아요. “어디 가는가?” 그렇게 말하는 그 ‘어디 가?’도 아니고 ‘가는가?’ 이렇게 존댓말하고 반말 사이에 그런 표현이 있어서 전혀 이상하지 않은 거예요

Normally when I post a question I try to show some attempt at understanding, but the confusing use of quotes with 그렇게 and 이렇게 (what is the difference here?), 말하는 modyfying a quote as if it were a noun, as well as 도 아니고 has me stumped. Would someone be able to translate and maybe break it down for me, please?

Note: (I have used the transcription only available on TTMIK's website. There were some slight discrepancies (e.g. the first 그렇게 was actually 이렇게 in audio) which I presume were corrections rather than transcription errors)

I think, in this context, 그렇게 and 이렇게 doesn't make much difference.

For example, let's consider this fragment (changed the last word to make it easier to explain):

"어디 가는가?" 그렇게 말하는 [것] = speaking like "어디 가는가?"

Here, "어디 가는가?" is the quotation. And then the following "그렇게 말하는" describes the sentence just quoted: "speaking like (...)"

When you think about it, English has a pretty similar expression:

And then he was like, "where are you going?"

If you use 이렇게, it's referring to something closer. However, since you're just quoting someone else saying it, I think both are applicable: to be pedantic, 이렇게 may refer to the sentence you just uttered (which was a quotation), and 그렇게 may refer to the original sentence (which was uttered a while ago by someone else). But it seems like splitting hairs to me.

Back to the original phrase, note that it's a highly conversational sentence - multiple similar phrases are appearing consecutively without a clear linking structure. So,

“어디 가는가?” 그렇게 말하는 = speaking like "어디 가는가?"

그 ‘어디 가?’도 아니고 ‘가는가?’ 이렇게 = like, "가는가?", instead of "어디 가?"

("A도 아니고 B" is normally "B, not even A" but here it may be closer to simply "B, not A".)

존댓말하고 반말 사이에 그런 표현이 있어서 = there are these expressions between polite and non-polite speech, so

전혀 이상하지 않은 거예요 = it's not awkward at all.

So, connecting together, it's something like:

So, there are expressions like "어디 가는가?" --- see, it's not even "어디 가?", but "가는가?" --- so they have expressions like this somewhere between 존대말 and 반말, which sound perfectly natural.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.