I have a question about a Korean phrase. I am wondering what 아끼면서 살자 means? I have been getting conflicting results. I have heard that it can possibly mean, "Let's be frugal", or, "Let's live loving each other", or other definitions. Is this a common phrase? Can it have multiple definitions? Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it!!
Klmo and Hojin Cho left a good answer in the comments. It depends on the context - the meaning can vary depending on what object 아끼다 takes. And yes, such expression is common in casual conversations
Below are examples:
- 아끼면서 살자 = 1. Let’s be frugal / 2. Let’s live loving each other (with enough context)
- 돈을 아끼면서 살자 = Let’s live saving money
- 서로 아끼면서 살자 = Let’s live loving each other
- 사랑하는 사람을 아끼면서 살자 = Let’s live loving the beloved
- 목소리를 아끼다 = To save up ones voice