In (G)I-DLE's Put It Straight, lyrics include the following lines:

싫다고 말해 / 사랑하지 않는다고 말해 봐 / 내 맘이 떠날 거 같이 / 너가 미워질 거 같이

좋다고 말해 / 아니 사랑하고 있다고 말해 줘 / 좋았던 그때와 같이 / 이제 사랑할 순 없니

I read 싫다고 말해 and 좋다고 말해 translated in some sites as "say no" and "say yes" respectively. However, I was understanding them as "say you don't like it" and "say you like it/it's fine" because of a naïve translation. What am I missing? Are there actual cases where 싫다 and 좋다 refer to affirmation or negation or is it rather a special case?

For that lyrics, your translation is correct. But there are some cases where you can say 싫다/싫어 to mean 아니: when someone suggests you to do something, you can say "싫어/싫다/싫습니다/..." to mean 아니. It works like "(I) don't like (your idea/suggestion)". You can also say 좋아/좋다/좋습니다 to mean yes, but while 싫어 is a very common response, 좋아 is less common. A more natural positive response (in my opinion) is 그래/그러자/그럽시다. For negative response, one can also say 안 해/안 한다/안 할 거다/안 합니다/안 할 겁니다, which means "(I) don't/won't do (it)".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.