In various situations I'd like to be able to refuse politely. What are some ways I can do so? In particular, I'd like to see a variety of phrases with different levels of formality.

For example, in these situations:

• Someone offers coffee, but I don't want it.
  • Someone (strongly) pushes me to drink soju, but I intend not to drink.
  • Someone suggests going to a mountain to hike on the weekend.
  • Someone offers help (for example, filling out an application form at a government office) - but I don't need help.
  • I'm asked to work extra on the weekend, but I don't intend to.

I know how I would refuse in each of these situations; but I'd like to know the most natural ways, both polite and super-polite.

• "polite and super-polite." I hope someone also posts the rude and snarky ways as well. – user17915 Jul 28 '16 at 13:20

It's not an easy question to answer definitively because it's a matter of preference and depends on context, but let me try.

Someone offers coffee, but I don't want it.

아니요. 괜찮아요. 고맙습니다. It literally translates to "No, I am fine. Thank you". You can use it when you are offered something and you want to politely say "No."

Someone (strongly) pushes me to drink soju, but I intend not to drink.

미안해요. 술 잘 못 마셔요. I am sorry, but I don't drink well.

Someone suggests going to a mountain to hike on the weekend.

미안해요. 다른 약속이 있어요. I am sorry, but I have a prior engagement.

Someone offers help (for example, filling out an application form at a government office) - but I don't need help.

아니요. 괜찮아요. 고맙습니다.

I'm asked to work extra on the weekend, but I don't intend to.

미안해요. 다른 약속이 있어요.

You could use "죄송해요." or "죄송합니다." in place of "미안해요." and "감사합니다." in place of "고맙습니다." if you want to sound more polite.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.