I've seen '멀다 하고' used in two sentences as '사흘이 멀다 하고' and '하루가 멀다 하고'. Please could somebody explain to me what the '멀다 하고' means? Can you use it with other periods of time e.g. 이틀 or even hours / weeks etc.? Thanks in advance.

• Both sentences are idioms. They mean "doing something quite often."
    – Hanul Jeon
    Oct 4, 2020 at 7:30
  • 멀다 하고 literally means "thinking that ... is far."
    – Klmo
    Oct 26, 2020 at 6:44

1 Answer 1

Both of them are idioms. The sentences "하루가 멀다 하고" and "사흘이 멀다 하고" mean someone feel a day(하루) or three days(사흘) is too long to wait for them, so they do something repeatedly frequently. For example,

민수는 하루가 멀다 하고 컴퓨터 게임을 한다.

means Minsu cannot wait for playing computer games, so he cannot help himself from computer games.

Using "멀다 하고" with other periods of time is less usual, but you may use it. For example, you may use it as follows:

십 분이 멀다 하고 화장실에 다녀왔어.

This means the speaker went a restroom so frequently, so the time interval between visiting the restroom could be less than 10 minutes.

• Thanks a lot for your explanation! I'm so glad you included some examples too. :) Oct 5, 2020 at 0:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.