I would like to convert my name to korean, but I am having trouble with "泽" which can be 석 or 택. I would assume the name would be 하석민 or 하택민 after conversion. Does it matter which one I use?

According to this document, the character 泽 is not allowed for a person's name. I am not sure whether there is an exception for people from other countries. If you use 澤 instead, it has to be 택 by law.
    – Klmo
    Jul 19 '20 at 10:33
    It's your name, and both 석민 and 택민 sound totally normal in Korean. It doesn't really "matter" because I can't imagine any Korean asking your original Chinese characters, looking them up in the dictionary, and telling you "No your name is wrong!" - so, go with whichever you prefer.
    – jick
    Jul 19 '20 at 17:07
    Maybe I should have asked first why you need to write your name in Korean. If it is not about the immigration stuff, you may also choose Korean characters based on how your name is actually pronounced. For example, 毛泽东 is called 마오쩌둥 (and also 모택동(毛澤東)) in South Korea.
    – Klmo
    Jul 20 '20 at 11:16
  • @Klmo No, 澤 is definitely allowed for a person's name. It is a basic word in Korean education, and is always allowed to be a person's name. All hanja characters that appear in the document you provided is allowed to be used. Aug 14 '20 at 5:45
    @짱멋진만찢남 You misunderstood what I had said. It has 澤 but not 泽. Korean children do not learn Simplified Chinese characters. Hanja consists mainly of Traditional Chinese characters. 澤 and 泽 have the same meaning, but it does not mean that both characters are allowed in South Korea.
    – Klmo
    Aug 14 '20 at 9:18

When we do not consider a pronunciation-based name as another option, I believe that 하택민 is the safest choice because of these three reasons:

1. Koreans do not use Simplified Chinese characters, such as 泽, so you should use Traditional Chinese characters or Hanja instead. 澤 used for a personal name has to be pronounced as 택 in South Korea. By law, there are no options to its sound.

2. 택민 does not sound strange at all. Some Koreans have it as their first name.

3. If you use 석민, public servants or other workers could make mistakes about your name when they use the "Korean character to Hanja" converter. For 석, the Hanja lists of Windows 10 and the word processor 한글 have neither 澤 nor 泽. It matters if you do not want to waste time on this.

I have no idea why you wish to use a Korean name, but if you are going to live in South Korea, you should conform to Korean customs and obey the law.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.