I just encountered the phrase:

해가지고난후

In which I interpreted as After the sun sets.

해가지다 means sunset, and 후 means after. I also understand that the connecting particle 고 is like "and" in English. My question is that what is the purpose of 난 in the sentence? I know it is a shortened 나는 meaning "I" but what does it mean in the phrase?

-고 나다 (and also -고 난) are function words there. You can disassemble 해가 지고 난 후 as follows:

• 해: a noun meaning "the sun"

• 가: a subject marker attached to 체언 that ends without 받침

• 지다 (stem: 지): a verb meaning "(for the star, planet, or moon) to set"

• -고: a connective ending attached to the main verb and required by the following (auxiliary) verb

• 나다 in -고 나다 (stem: 나): an auxiliary verb used when the subject having completed the action of the preceding statement

• -ㄴ: an ending of a word that makes the preceding statement function as an adnominal and indicates an event or action having occurred in the past

• 후: a noun meaning "a later time"

Thus, the verb 나다 requires another verb before it in a specific construction with the ending -고. You should keep in mind that a lot of verbs require certain grammatical constructions and have multiple meanings.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.