I have come across this sentence in a sermon:

우리는 보통 ‘나 하나쯤이야’하면서 적당히 범죄하고, 적당히 말씀을 거역하며 살아갑니다

It seems like this is a coined phrase...but I've never heard it. When is it used, what is the feeling behind it, who says it and when?

The '쯤' of '나 하나쯤이야' means 'approximate degree' meaning the same as '정도' that comes right after nouns, '-(이)야' shows the perception of looking down on someone/something or taking /someone/something slightly, and '하나' means 'one', and in this case, showing the reason of the perception, which is that the person/thing is only one'. you can make various combinations with these words and other words.

나야, 뭐, 걱정할 필요 없어. {-(이)야}

LA에서 뉴욕까지는 3000km 쯤/정도 될 걸? (쯤/정도)

• It can be translated into....

It makes no matter (problem) if only I do (something wrong). / There's no matter for me only. / It would be okay even if I am/do something

ex) 나 하나쯤 무단횡단해도 괜찮겠지 / 나 하나쯤 마스크 안 써도 상관없겠지 / 나 하나쯤이야 법 안 지켜도 괜찮겠지 / 나 하나쯤이야 바이러스 신경 안 쓰고 돌아다녀도 되겠지

It shows an immoral and unethical attitude and a moral hazard such as, who know? / who even cares? / only my small wrongdoing does not affect at all..

• It can also means that I can take care of myself because I need to care only me.

ex) 나 하나쯤이야 내가 지킬 수 있지

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.