This is a sentence from a video on VLIVE with the English translation.
Why is it 있잖아요 not 이잖아요? The translation "that IS" so it makes more sense to me to use 이다 there instead.

VLIVE 하면 하는 거 있잖아요. 댓글 읽기 --> That's what we do (reading comment) on VLIVE.

'이다', verbs, adjectives or ‘-으시-’, ‘-었-’, ‘-겠-’ + -잖아요

• 있잖아요 = 있(다) + 잖아요
  • 이잖아요 = 이(다) + 잖아요

=>

• VLIVE 하면 하는 거(것이) + 있다(there is) + 잖아요 (o)
  • VLIVE 하면 하는 거(것이) + 이다(is) + 잖아요 (x)

"That's what we do (reading comment) on VLIVE." is not word-to-word translation, so you may feel confused. Literally it means, "If we do VLIVE, there is what we normally do. That is reading comments." Here, 있다('there is') is more natural than 이다(just 'is') in the context. So you need to use -하는 거 있잖아요.

"X 있잖아요" is an idiomatic expression, similar to, "Why, you know, X." (Literally, it means "isn't there X?" - from which it's easy to understand how this means "you know".) For example,

A: 찬장에서 밀가루 좀 꺼내 줄래? = Can you pass me the flour from the cupboard?

B: 어느 게 밀가루야? = Which one is flour?

A: 파란 종이 봉지에 들어있는 거 있잖아. = You see, the one in the blue paper bag.

On the other hand, "X(이)잖아요" literally means "isn't it X?", so you could use it in a different situation. For example:

B: 부침개에 밀가루를 그렇게 많이 넣으려고? = You are pouring so much flour on the pancake (mix)?

A: 왜? 부침개가 원래 밀가루 맛으로 먹는 거잖아? = Why (not)? Pancakes are supposed to have floury taste, isn't it?

A note of caution: when you connect 거 with -이잖아 (or any other form of the copula -이다), the 이 disappears, so it must be 거다/거냐/거잖아, not 거이다/거이냐/거이잖아. (거 is already an informal form of 것, so adding the full -이다 after that is impossible, as far as I know.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.