So, this word, according to some Korean grammar books, means "situation", and is similar to 경우, as in this:

... 법과 어긋나지 않는 한 기꺼이 양보합니다

However I am not sure when exactly this word is used, and its meaning too.

Much help is appreciated.

• Can you quote a sentence in the book? The sentence doesn't make sense. And what do you mean by "pseudo-noun"? Did you hear this term used?
    – user7
    Jul 21, 2016 at 5:35
  • By pseudo-noun, I think they mean 의존명사, but it's usually translated as 'dependent noun' - a noun that can't be used in any way, only within a particular syntactic structure, in this case after a present participle -는.
    – gaeguri
    Jul 21, 2016 at 8:09

1 Answer 1

Actually, as a native speaker of the language, '-한' is often used. But it's not something that can be written by itself. It's similar to 'as long as'.

법과 어긋나지 않는 한 기꺼이 양보합니다.

Therefore, the above sentence would mean

As long as it does not violate the law, we will willingly yield.

Another example:

그들이 항복하지 않는 한 우리는 계속 공격할 것입니다.

As long as they don't surrender, we will keep attacking them.

• OK so can you give some examples on how this one is used as the meaning of “as long as”?
    – user237
    Jul 21, 2016 at 6:14
  • 그들이 항복하지 않는 한 우리는 계속 공격할 것입니다 Jul 21, 2016 at 6:16
  • Meaning, as long as they don't surrender, we will keep attacking them Jul 21, 2016 at 6:16
  • Hello Danny Han. Welcome to Korean Stack Exchange. Please check the edit I made and see what has been changed by clicking on "edited X min ago" above my user name.
    – user7
    Jul 21, 2016 at 6:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy