So, this word, according to some Korean grammar books, means "situation", and is similar to 경우, as in this:

... 법과 어긋나지 않는 한 기꺼이 양보합니다

However I am not sure when exactly this word is used, and its meaning too.

Much help is appreciated.

• Can you quote a sentence in the book? The sentence doesn't make sense. And what do you mean by "pseudo-noun"? Did you hear this term used? – user7 Jul 21 '16 at 5:35
  • By pseudo-noun, I think they mean 의존명사, but it's usually translated as 'dependent noun' - a noun that can't be used in any way, only within a particular syntactic structure, in this case after a present participle -는. – gaeguri Jul 21 '16 at 8:09

Actually, as a native speaker of the language, '-한' is often used. But it's not something that can be written by itself. It's similar to 'as long as'.

법과 어긋나지 않는 한 기꺼이 양보합니다.

Therefore, the above sentence would mean

As long as it does not violate the law, we will willingly yield.

Another example:

그들이 항복하지 않는 한 우리는 계속 공격할 것입니다.

As long as they don't surrender, we will keep attacking them.

• OK so can you give some examples on how this one is used as the meaning of “as long as”? – 짱멋진만찢남 Jul 21 '16 at 6:14
  • 그들이 항복하지 않는 한 우리는 계속 공격할 것입니다 – a25bedc5-3d09-41b8-82fb-ea6c353d75ae Jul 21 '16 at 6:16
  • Meaning, as long as they don't surrender, we will keep attacking them – a25bedc5-3d09-41b8-82fb-ea6c353d75ae Jul 21 '16 at 6:16
  • Hello Danny Han. Welcome to Korean Stack Exchange. Please check the edit I made and see what has been changed by clicking on "edited X min ago" above my user name. – user7 Jul 21 '16 at 6:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.