I found an anki deck with 1000 most common words (I have to translate them to english on my own) but I couldn't find much information about the meaning of this one. One resource mentioned it means "year", is that true? Are there other meanings?

It means "(the) ...s" as in the 2000s. – Klmo Dec 28 '19 at 11:45

@Klmo's comment is right.

Here, I append some more details.

• (eng) ~ (kor) ~ (meaning)
  • 2010s ~ 2010년대 ~ from 2010 to 2019
  • 1900s ~ 1900년대 ~ from 1900 to 1999
  • 2000s ~ 2000년대 ~ from 2000 to 2099

To add a bit more, this is the same word as 연대 (年代), just pronounced differently because of 두음 법칙 (the initial sound rule). Basically, hanja that are normally pronounced with ㄴ or ㄹ as the initial sound are pronounced (and spelled) differently when the hanja comes at the beginning of a word, as opposed to the middle of a compound. This is why "year" is sometimes pronounced 년 (as in 내년 (來年), "next year"), and sometimes pronounced 연 (as in 연말 (年末), "the end of the year," or 연세 (年歲), the formal word for "age").

In this case, the decade number is being treated as part of a compound word, so it is pronounced 년대 (80년대), while when used on its own, to mean an unspecified era, it would be 연대.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.