Example:

뭐 먹을래요?
뭐 먹을까요?

I have been told that I can use both questions to ask the same thing. Is it exactly the same?

When should I use one or the other? How would you translate this exactly?

My gut feeling, as a non-native speaker, is that ㄹ까요 is a bit more formal than ㄹ래요. That is how use them. I use ㄹ까요 when speaking to a superior I am familiar with, while I use ㄹ래요 to peers I do not know well, but am able to use a less formal register with. – Vladhagen Jun 21 '16 at 21:21

Both have a range of different possible meanings in English - there is some overlap but they are not necessarily the same.

(으)ㄹ래요 is an ending meaning 'want to', which can be used as a question.

뭐 먹을래요? could mean "what would you like to eat?". It could also be, in a group context, 'what shall we eat?'. It wouldn't usually be used to mean 'what shall I eat?'.

ㄹ/을까(요) has a range of meanings including 'shall I..?', or 'shall we..?'.

So again, it could (in a group) mean 'what shall we eat?', or you could be wondering to yourself, 'what shall I eat?'. You could also be wondering to yourself, 'what will they eat?', but you wouldn't use ㄹ/을까(요) to ask someone what they want to eat if you are not eating with them.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.