In the following sentence:

우리가 검사를 해서 문제가 있는 것을 깨달았어요.

근데 검사를 언제 했어요?

(The example is from the following page)

I don't understand why that sentence uses 다 between 있 and 는. If you strip it and make the sentence to the following, I think it is just fine.

우리가 검사를 해서 문제가 있는 것을 깨달았어요.

So what is the purpose of 다 in that sentence and why is it used as such?

• I think it stresses the fact that something was discovered, as opposed to just stating that something was discovered – user17915 Nov 19 '19 at 0:38

Technically, -다는 is the abbreviation of -다고 하는, which is the reason there is 다. -다는, however, is not always the same as -다고 하는 now (Note: 하다 here means 말하다, 생각하다, or their related words).

These are two kinds of adnominal clauses:

A. 문제가 있다는

B. 문제가 있는

In the form of an indirect quotation, "문제가 있다는" modifies 것; however, "문제가 있는" directly modifies it. Because 것 in your sentences is equivalent to 사실 ("the fact"), A and B are semantically the same (reference).

It is important to know that the noun determines which clause can come before it. Let's consider these, too:

C. 저는 친구가 오 것을 느꼈어요.

D. 저는 친구가 온다는 것을 느꼈어요.

E. 저는 친구가 오 것을 봤어요.

F. 저는 친구가 온다는 것을 봤어요. (✘)

G. 저는 친구가 오 얘기를 들었어요. (✘)

H. 저는 친구가 온다는 얘기를 들었어요.

것 for C and D means 사실; 것 for E and F means 모습 (In my opinion, 것 should be avoided to clarify the meaning). C and D are the same in meaning (As a sidenote, "저는 친구가 온다고 느꼈어요." is also correct). It is, nevertheless, incorrect to say "저는 친구가 온다고 하는 것을 느꼈어요.", so the clause in D does not have the real function of an indirect quotation. The clause in your first example sentence closely relates to D because no one would say "... 문제가 있다고 하는 것을 깨달았어요." F and G are incorrect; they show difference between the two kinds. H is the same as "저는 친구가 온다고 하는 얘기를 들었어요."; therefore, H has the clause as an indirect quotation.

Your example sentences sound a bit awkward. Instead of them, I would say:

• 우리는 검사를 해서 문제를 발견했어요.
  • 우리는 검사로 문제점을 찾았어요.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.