For a project I'm doing I'm trying to figure out if the following words are determinators (관형사) or just nouns (명사)?

오늘, 각각, 모두 (not 모든), 이번, 일부

I know that 이, 그, 새, 옛, ... are determinators, but I'm specifically interested in the words I wrote above.

Thanks! :)

If you go to Naver Korean Dictionary and lookup those words, the definition includes the part of speech they are. :) Jun 3 '19 at 22:54
  • First, those are determiners, not determinators. Second, any solid dictionary online or offline contains information about the word's part of speech.
    – Ignatius
    Jun 4 '19 at 6:56

They are all noun, as you can find in dictionary.

I think you can think them as determiner, because it looks like they are used as determiner.

For example: 이번 역은 서울, 서울 역입니다.(This station is Seoul, Seoul.)

In this sentence, 이번 looks like determiner. But, it is not: it is noun, and 이번 역 is noun phrase(명사구).

Example of noun phrase : 저 성실한 학생 in 저 성실한 학생이 철수이다.

As you can see in twitter of national institute of Korean language, Noun can modify following noun.

Additionally, (genitive postposition) can be skipped randomly, like 서울의 하늘(Sky of Seoul) and 서울 하늘(Seoul sky),오늘의 할 일의 목록(List of to-do of today), 오늘의 할 일 목록(To-do list of today), and 오늘 할 일 목록(Today to-do list)

And, about difference of determiner and noun. When you find 오늘 in Korean dictionary, it means 지금 지나가고 있는 이날(the day passing now). and in Korean dictionary, 이미 있던 것이 아니라 처음 마련하거나 다시 생겨난(regenerated or newly prepared, not had gotten already). Can see the difference? ( -(으)ㄴ is sign of adjective clause (Wikipedian expression, or determiner clause).

And as I mentioned in comment, noun can be followed by postposition(조사), whereas determiner can't. Like : 오늘은 피곤하다(today is tired, or I'm tired today). But, 옛에는 그러곤 했다 is wrong sentence.

• Thank you very much for the reply! I did look up at Naver, I just don't understand why they are not considered determiners in Korean if they 'work' like determiners (under the English definition of determiners). There is such a thing as 한정사, so why for example in Korean 이번 역 is a noun phrase where 이번 is a noun rather than a 한정사? Is there a different definition for this POS (determiner) in Korean? Jun 5 '19 at 17:09
  • @hangug_wannabe "Nouns can act as premodifiers in noun phrases" just as in English. The main difference between 관형사 and 명사 is that 관형사 cannot be used independently whereas 명사 can.
    – Klmo
    Jun 5 '19 at 19:04
  • @hangug_wannabe There is no 한정사 in Korean. I searched Naver Korean dictionary about 한정사 and here is what I got. ...‘이/가/는/를’까지 서양 말의 관사에 견주어 ‘한정사’로 보는 학자도 있다.(there is some scholars who think 이/가/는/를 as 한정사 compare with article of western language.) Determiner in Korean is 관형사.
    – LegenDUST
    Jun 6 '19 at 0:17
  • @hangug_wannabe Let's see. 이번 is noun, and think about determiner (pure) to compare. We can say like이번에는 다 잘 될 것이다 (Everything will fine this time), 이번은 아니다(Not this time). You can see 이번 is followed by 에는 or . They are 조사(postposition), which following 명사(noun) or some of 부사(adverb). But, we cannot say something like this with . Determiner cannot be followed by postposition.
    – LegenDUST
    Jun 6 '19 at 0:26
  • Oh, I see. Very interesting. So from your answer I understand that there are different rules that define determiner in Korean versus English (?). Because by English point of view, it is natural to assume that 이번 is a determiner. But it is not, because as you said, it can be followed by a postposition. Thank you so much for your kind reply! Jun 6 '19 at 0:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.