Do koreans clearly distinguish between ᄀ/ᄏ, ᄃ/ᄐ, ᄇ/ᄑ, ᄌ/ᄎ, ᄉ/ᄊ, 애/에, 어/오 while hearing a native speech? I have tried to catch the difference between these sounds, but I cannot find any pronunciation difference between 비 and 피, 살 and 쌀, 내 and 네, 속 and 석. Do koreans really pronounce ᄀ/ᄏ, ᄃ/ᄐ, ᄇ/ᄑ, ᄌ/ᄎ, ᄉ/ᄊ, 애/에, 어/오 differently?

• In modern Korean 애/에 are barely told but the others you mentioned are definitely distinguished in everyday conversations. Like 99%. – Coconut Feb 9 at 14:55
  • When I hear something like "choŋhap", I need to search words 청합, 정합, 총합, 종합 in the dictionary. Sometimes it's not easy to distinguish between "n" and "ŋ". – Hayk Abelyan Feb 9 at 15:03
  • With the exception of ㅐ/ㅔ, they are as clearly distinguished as, say, English f/p or s/sh. – jick Feb 9 at 19:39

It actually distinguished except ㅐ/ㅔ.

ㅋ, ㅌ, ㅍ, ㅊ (Aspirated Consonant) -> Definitely distinguished.

ㄲ, ㄸ, ㅃ, ㅉ, ㅆ (Tensed Consonant) -> Distinguished. But not as Aspirated Consonant.

ㅐ/ㅔ -> Actually not distinguished in daily life. pronunciation is almost same.
You don't have to think about pronunciation difference of ㅐ/ㅔ. It is distinguished by context in daily life.

어/오 -> Distinguished. Mouth shapes are quite different. Look out https://www.google.com/search?q=%EB%AA%A8%EC%9D%8C+%EC%9E%85%EB%AA%A8%EC%96%91&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=1w8vLPPRFOAeEM%253A%252CaBLoJh-Lu70lAM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQ2gmn-NiaLadjHcMyyTvDOoc6FWA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiC35_Ljq_gAhWNQN4KHTcEBPoQ9QEwAHoECAQQBA&biw=1536&bih=706#imgrc=1w8vLPPRFOAeEM: for images of mouth shapes.
But It may hard to distinguish if it pronounced in dialect.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.