I'm trying to understand what's being said in these three audio clips.

Clip 1 --> my english subtitles report as translation "show off". I'm trying to understand whether they mean to "make yourself visible", or "haughty" (the context makes both of them possible)

Clip 2 --> My english subtitles report "The demolition crew moved in", but I can't understand here what does "moved in" mean.

Clip 3 --> My english subtitles report "Important evidence is put by the trash bin", but I can't understand at all what does that mean.

Thanks in advance.

• Could you provide longer audio for the first one? – Константин Ван Jan 10 at 12:23
  • There's nothing else being said near to that. The characters says it during a fight. – Baffo rasta Jan 10 at 12:24

The first one

섁똥 퍼문 씹……

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what it means. Sounds like he's cursing in great anger, as it has quite a lot of tensed consonants for such a short speech. Could you provide longer audio?

It might not be in Korean; the accent is, though.

The second one (was the easiest to catch words)

“재개발한다고 철거 용역들이 들이닥치더라고.”

(Thinking of the moment in the past) “Labor (demolition workers) showed up all of a sudden to carry out urban renewal.”

Noun “재개발” (“재- (re-)”+“개발 (development)”) and verb “재개발하다”

Urban renewal” and “to carry out urban renewal.”

Conjugation “-ᆫ다고”

“Saying that; for reasons that.”

Noun (noun adjunct) “철거”

“Demolition.”

Noun “용역”

“Labor service” by definition, but often means “manual workers” as well.

Suffix “들”

A suffix denoting the plurals of nouns. “-s.”

Marker “이”

A subject marker.

Verb “들이닥치다”

“To arrive, come closer, especially suddenly or erratically.” Implies harshness. “To show up” would be a good translation.

Ending conjugation “-더라고”

Used when you describe something in retrospect. “What I saw/realized/felt/learned was that; seemingly.” Though I couldn't find such sense from the dictionary, this is used massively in casual conversations.

The third one

“중요한 단서는 쓰레기통의 옆에 두는 거라고.”

“An important clue is what you put at the side of a trash can.”

“You'd want to put your crucial clue next to your trash can.”

(to make it look not so)

I couldn't recognize his “중요한” as his /ng/ and /n/ sounded a bit weak. I was like, “추요한다 해서는?” “추요한 단서는?” Now that I catch it, I'm writing this.

Adjective “중요하다”

“Of great importance.”

Noun “단서”

“Clue; a piece of evidence or information used in the detection of a crime or solving of a mystery.”

Marker (copula) “는”

“Is.”

Noun “쓰레기통” “쓰레기 (trash)”+“통 (bin)”

“Trash can.”

Marker “의”

“Of.”

Noun “옆”

“Side; a position to the left or right of an object, place, or central point.”

Marker “에”

“At” or “on.”

Verb “두다”

“To put something down.”

Noun “거”

The informal or spoken variation of the word “것,” meaning a “thing.”

Ending conjugation “-라고”

Used in the “해” register (the most casual speech level), to tell one's thought or opinion with a slight emphasizing or confidence.

I recognized the movie from the second and third clip. 신과 함께-인과 연, or Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days. And you know what? It's on Netflix. And you know what even more? Netflix provides Korean subtitles for this movie for its service in Korea.

So I went through the movie to find a scene where people fight, and located the sentence in question around 00:26:23. The subtitle reads:

새끼, 똥폼은, 씨...

I hear "이 새끼" with a determiner "이", but maybe that's a minor (and natural enough) addition by the actor, thus not reflected in the script-based subtitle.

똥폼 in Standard Korean Dictionary:

=개폼(본인은 멋있다고 생각하나, 일반적으로 못나다고 생각되는 자세를 낮잡아 이르는 말).

And in Korea University Korean Dictionary

실제로는 그렇지 않으면서 멋있는 척을 함을 얕잡아 이르는 말.

is just an exclamation here, and its SKD entry is:

마음에 차지 않거나 못마땅할 때 내는 소리. ‘시1’보다 센 느낌을 준다.

KUKD:

매우 못마땅하거나 마음에 차지 않을 때 내는 말.

• So I would say a better translation (based on the surrounding context, not only the given sentence) would be something like: "Why the fxxx is he sitting like that?" – Taegyung Feb 28 at 15:20
  • This is really useful! I didn't know about that Netflix thing. – Baffo rasta Feb 28 at 17:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.