How do I translate:

“May I know when Max will return to Korea? And which flight?” Please keep Max in English.

Google Translate does not seem to translate this correctly.

Why do you think google translate is wrong? Could you please post your attempt so people can help correct it? – user17915 Dec 20 '18 at 11:54
  • I am a bit surprised that no one asked whether the speaker is in Korea. As for Google Translate, I have found that it generates a translation erroneous in some ways. – Klmo Jun 17 at 10:54

This is how I would say the first sentence:

Max가 언제 한국으로 돌아갈 지 알려 줄 수 있어요?

There are dozens of slight variants on this sentence.

To ask what the flight number is, you can say

항공편 번호는 뭐요?

All of these translations will depend a great deal on who you are speaking to. Level of speech is very important in Korean. I have translated the sentences into 해요체, which is the informal but polite speech level.

| improve this answer | |

The expressions below are used when you are talking in a formal situation, or talking to a stranger or an older person. Although they are slightly different, all of them would convey the same message to the person you are talking to.

Max는 언제 한국으로 돌아가죠? (When will Max return?).

Max가 언제 한국으로 돌아가는지 알 수 있을까요?(May I know when will Max return?).

Max가 언제 한국으로 돌아가는지 알려주실 수 있으세요? (Could you tell me when will Max return?)

If you are talking to a person younger than you, you may say:

Max 한국에 언제 돌아간대?

And which flight? could be simply translate as:

어떤 항공으로? (Airline), 어떤 항공편으로? (Flight number)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.