I’m learning to conjugate into past tense in formal language (합쇼체). From what I’ve learned, if a stem ends in a consonant, you add “았습니다” or “있습니다” after it depending on the vowel before.

However, I’ve seen 춥다 conjugated into 추었습니다 , dropping the ㅂ altogether.

My question is: - is 춥다 an anomaly for doing this or is there another rule during conjugation that I need to know (for when to drop ending consonants)?

A bit of spelling checks: “있습니다” → “-습니다,” “추었습니다” → “추습니다.” – Константин Ван Nov 15 '18 at 12:25
    Just an off-topic note: 춥다 is an irregular Korean adjective meaning "to be cold." – Klmo May 24 '19 at 11:43

Hoping someone else would explain it in detail, let me just give you a tiny bit of info about this phenomenon.

Is “춥다” an irregular adjective?

Yes, along with other “-ㅂ” stem adjectives/verbs except for some. We can't say every such adjective/verb is, but a bunch are.

ㅂ irregular conjugation

It's called “ㅂ irregular conjugation (ㅂ 불규칙 활용).” A conjugation where a stem's final “,” as in “” in “춥-,” becomes an “” or “” before a conjugation with no initial consonant, such as “-었-.” E.g. “춥다” → “추웠다” (“” + (“ㅂ-”→“ㅜ-”) + “-었-” + “-다”).

Why does this happen?

Such a “” was originally a “” (unused nowaday), which likely had the /v/ sound in initial and the /ㅂ/ sound in final. Later, the /v/ sound shifted to the /w/ sound.

(“추ᇦ-” + “-어”) → “추ᄫᅥ” (Since “-어” has no initial consonant, the “” takes the initial position here.) → “추워

Fun fact: some dialects still have this sound.

The Kyungsang dialect. They say “추ᄫᅳ라 /choovɾa/” for the standard equivalent “추워라 /choowoɾa/.”

| improve this answer | |
    Thank you very much for your reply. This answers my question perfectly and in so much detail! I shall be sure to remember this phenomenon in future. :) – Amethyst Nov 16 '18 at 0:22
    I think this is a perfect answer for language learners. I would just add that these verbs and adjectives have the same phenomenon: 굽다, 눕다, 덥다, 돕다, 괴롭다, 가렵다, 그립다, 아름답다, 무섭다, 아니꼽다, -스럽다. – Klmo May 24 '19 at 11:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.