There are four endings in Korean that as a learner I tend to confuse as they seem to share some similarities in form and meaning:

• (으)ㄹ 거예요 is the 해요체 form of the (으)ㄹ 것이다 construction, which can be used for a straightforward future, for expressing intention, or for supposition.
  • (으)ㄹ게(요) (also sometimes spelled ㄹ/을께 (요)) is used to express an intended action that affects the listener, e.g. 내일 전화할게요 - I'll call you tomorrow.
  • 게(요) represents a causal intention to do something - 엄마, 돈 주세요. 밥 사먹게요 - Mum, please give me some money - I want to get some food.
  • (으)ㄹ까(요)? Is a question form which can mean 'shall I/we...'? e.g. 제가 그 분에게 전화해 볼까요? - Shall I telephone him? or 'Do you suppose...?', e.g. 김 선생님이 학교에 오실까요? - Do you think Mr. Kim will come to school?

Certain pairs of these endings share some of the following features:

• use of '-ㄹ ㄱ...'
  • use of 게
  • talking about the future

Are there any recognised grammatical relationships between any of these forms? Is there any relationship between the 게 in some of these forms and the '겠' future particle?

-ㄹ 거예요 is the shortened and honorific version of -ㄹ 것이다. Which is -ㄹ + 것 + -이다. Other forms are -ㄹ 거야, -ㄹ 것입니다. Here, 게 comes from dependent noun 것. The 'future' feature comes from the future-tense adjective verb ending -ㄹ.

There's not a lot of research about the etymology of -게 and -ㄹ게 endings, but I presume -ㄹ게 came from shortened forms of -ㄹ 것이- (>-ㄹ 거이 > -ㄹ게).

There's several theories on the origin of -겠-, since it was only introduced into the language in the late 18th century. Some see this as shortened from '-게 있', and some see it as '-게 하였'. In both of these theories, 게 comes from the adverbial verb ending -게.

-ㄹ까 comes from Middle Korean 1st/3rd-person question ending -ㄹ가. In contrast to the other Middle Korean 1st/3rd-person question ending -ㄴ가, you can see that the "future" part comes from -ㄹ like above, and the "question" part come from -가.

There seems to be 3 different origins for the 'ㄱ' (것, 게, 가), and only one origin for the 'ㄹ' (future-tense adverbial verb ending -ㄹ).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.