I’m a relatively confused Korean student who is very interested in learning but I have hit a wall. I understand the forming of a word using blocks/the structure, but the “alphabet” charts are confusing me.

For example: Example of what I mean

Are those English translations or pronunciations? Does “ㅏ” quite literally mean “A” or is that how it’s pronounced?

New contributor
Jackson is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

This chart is for Korean vowels

In Korean a full sound is made by combining a consonant (자음) with a vowel (모음)

The chart in the question shows the pronunciation of the vowel sounds, but since the vowel characters are not used by themselves, their pronunciation is also the word used to refer to them

For example, the sound Ga is formed by the vowel ㄱ followed by the consonant ㅏ(ah) to give Ga (가)

Note that most Korean sounds do not have an exact English equivalent, so although ㅏ has been transliterated into English as 'ah', the 'h' at the end is not pronounced. The pronunciation is more like 'aa'

Also note that the consonants, on the other hand hand, each have their own name

Your Answer

Jackson is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.