In the Korean language learning book, published in Pyongyang, the appendix shows Korean verb endings, including 네, 리라, 아라/어라/여라, 리, 마, which I met only in North Korean patriotic songs.

Are these endings used in the speech or TV/radio/press? Do these endings have specific use (like 아요/어요/여요, which is informal)?

enter image description here

-네 is often used for poetic expression, but it is also used to express your confirmation of your feelings or the fact. For example, '오늘 날씨가 좋네.' -리라,아라/어라/여라, 리 are same and are used in South Korea too. You could see them in the North Korea's patriotic songs easily because they're used in the situation to express your wishes. -마 is little different than above, as far as I know. You can use it when you tell somebody that you're gonna do something in the near or far future. The feeling of -마 is very informal and friendly. I saw them and heard them mostly in the letters of elders to their children.

Yeah, -리라 and -아라/어라/여라 are also commonly used in Korean-language hymns in churches in South Korea.
    – Michaelyus
    Oct 18 '18 at 10:03
  • Does -마 have higher courtesy forms? Oct 20 '18 at 6:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.