tl;dr: what is the difference between 설렁탕 and 설농탕?

They seem to design the same kind of beef-based soup. Is it a difference of meaning (similar albeit different dishes)? Or the same dish in different dialects?

More context: I live in Busan where people usually say that 돼지국밥 (pork-based rice soup) is a typical Busan dish, while 설렁탕 is the Seoul, beef-based version. I enjoy both dishes.

I visited Seoul last week so, following the adage "in Roma, we do as the Romans", I tried to visit a 설렁탕 restaurant. I found one online (신성설농탕 to be precise) in the area of 건국 university (the area I was) under the query "설렁탕" but, to my surprise, the restaurant refered to the dish as 설농탕.

My research: 1. 설렁탕 on Google returns about 2.5 millions results. 2. 설농탕 has "only" 200,000 results. I feel it is too much for a typo, so I am inclined to think it is a local variation.

설농탕 is a word used in past. grammatically 설렁탕 is correct. 설농탕 and 설렁탕 have the same meaning overall.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.