I train in a Korean martial art. We have sets of techniques that we call off in half English, half Korean. I am wondering how to say them entirely in Korean. For example:

기본권법 基本拳法 Gi Bon Gwon Beop - basic unarmed fighting principles

삼보대련 三步對練 Sam Bo Dae Ryeon - three-step sparring

We will call off things like "Sam Bo Dae Ryeon number 13". I am wondering how one would call this off entirely in Korean. I'm not even sure what to call this type of linguistic construct. Can anyone help?

  • You mean something like 삼보대련 13? Sep 17, 2018 at 13:55

1 Answer 1



The most basic and universal word to give things their ordinals is an ordinal number marker noun “번(番)”, which sounds a bit casual.

삼보대련 1 번(삼보대련 일 번, 三步對練一番.)

삼보대련 number one


You may also use “제(第)-,” which is an ordinal number marker prefix.

기본권법 제5(기본권법 제오, 基本拳法第五.)

기본권법 the fifth

…for what?


But come on, this is a martial art, what we need here is badassery. What you got is a set of techniques, or, 식(式)s. “식(式)” is a cool, common name for techniques in martial arts in countries the Sinosphere has.

기본권법 제3 식(기본권법 제삼 식, 基本拳法第三式.)

기본권법 the third style/technique/posture

장(章)” means a “chapter.” You know, ancient martial arts were recorded and passed down in the form of books, which had several chapters for each of the techniques. It is a literary expression to emphasize the power of a technique in novels and cartoons, though. Ugh, well, forget about this.

무예제보 제5 장(무예제보 제오 장, 武藝諸譜第五章.)

무예제보 chapter five

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.