Is the pronunciation of "아저씨" same as "아젓시"? I know that the word 아젓시 does not exist but just curious about pronunciation.

Unless you speak very slowly, I think they sound the same.

Since 아젓시 isn't a real word, it's impossible to know exactly, but we can look at similar words in the dictionary:

칫솔 (toothbrush) is listed with 2 pronunciations:[치쏠] and [칟쏠]. So the first one suggests that 아젓시 would indeed be pronounced like 아저씨, and the second one suggests a slightly different pronunciation. Likewise, 귓속 (inside the ear) can be pronounced [귀쏙] or [귇쏙].

However, 맛소금 (salt + MSG) is listed with just one pronunciation: [맏쏘금].
Likewise, 덧신 (overshoes) is also listed with just one: [덛씬].

The difference between the first two and the latter two may be that the ㅅ in 칫솔 and 귓속 is a 사이시옷 which only appears when two words are joined, so it's easier for it to disappear, whereas in 맛소금 and 덧신, the ㅅ is found in the original words 맛 and 덧, so it doesn't disappear.

So if your word 아젓시 was based on the imaginary word 아젓+시, I think you'd have to pronounce it [아젇씨], but if it were based on the imaginary word 아저 + 사이시옷 + 시, maybe it would be possible to pronounce it 아저씨.

According to the standard, the pronunciation of last consonant must be among 7 consonants: ㄱ(k), ㄴ(n), ㄷ(t), ㄹ(l), ㅁ(m), ㅂ(p), ㅇ(ng). When ㅅ is at the end, as ㅅ's articulation point is the same to ㄷ, ㅅ changes into ㄷ.

Also, since ㅅ in 시 is in front of ㄷ, ㅅ becomes ㅆ.

So, the pronunciation of 아젓시 is 아젇씨, which is different from 아저씨.

In Korean, there are five fortis (된소리) 'ㄲ', 'ㄸ', 'ㅃ', 'ㅆ', 'ㅉ'

된소리 법칙(law) : Sound between two vowels

Example : 소쩍새 (scops owl) -> 솢쩍쌔, 어깨 (shoulder)-> 억깨,
오빠 (brother)->옵빠, 으뜸 (best) -> 읃뜸

Irregular : 깨끗하다 (clean) -> 깨끗타다

Here, if we follow law, then 깩끗타다. But by ㄲ of 깨, we have 깨끗타다.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.