I would like to ask you one question. What does the sentence mean? You can provide any context if possible.

저는 만지지 마십시오.

A. Do not touch me

B. I do not touch (something)

C. Both A and B are possible depending on the context.

I think that 저 here is topic marker not necessarily a subject so both A and B are possible. However, my Vietnamese friend said there is no context to make B right. Could you shed some light on this? If B can be right, could you show an example where it is possibe?

저를 만지지 마십시오 would be more natural. – jungyh0218 Aug 6 '18 at 1:23

The -십시오 ending is a polite imperative, for polite requests and instructions. You would only use this ending when you're talking to someone else; the sentence therefore means "Do not touch me".

This wouldn't make sense if 'me' was the subject, but as you rightly say, the -는 marker doesn't have to go on subjects; it can be used for just for emphasis. So the natural translation would be something like

Don't touch me.

The implication being that the speaker might not care if this person touches some other people, but they are asking the listener not to touch them.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.