Here are three example sentences I have read with this construction, with possible translations:

사실인즉 : to tell the truth

말인즉 옳소 : what he says is true.

기회인즉 좋은 기회다 : about the opportunity – it’s a good opportunity.

In the first and second example, if the translations are correct, 즉 seems to mean 'speech'. In the third example, 인즉 seems to be mean something like (ㄴ)은.

Is there a single translation that makes sense in all these usages?

Also (as I'm not sure what to tag this question!) is this a noun, or a particle?

• -ㄴ즉/인즉 is an old-fashioned expression that has two meanings, according to the dictionary:

1. A particle which expresses the same meaning as ‘…로 말하면’, ‘…를 보자면’, ‘…를 듣자면’.

I'd consider this definition of -ㄴ즉 same as 은/는(the topic marker), only old-fashioned.

사실인즉 therefore is same as 사실은.

2. A verb ending indicating that the following clause is the reason or evidence of the preceding clause.

An example for this is 비가 내린즉 곧 강물이 불을 것이다. (the river will flood right after the rain has come.)

• -ㄴ즉슨 is to emphasize the first meaning of -ㄴ즉.

There are multiple meanings for the word '즉', but for the cases given by your examples 즉 is an 접미사(接尾辭 - Suffix). It functions as a noun that is never used alone, but attached after 어근(語根 - root) or a word to create a new word. The word 즉 is attached to other words (usually adjectives, it appears) to create 부사(副詞 - Adverb). It is rather archaic.

Now, as to what it exactly does, I have little idea. I do not think there is an universal translation for that word - it appears to me to be a form of saturi.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.