I can pronounce it both ways below:

1. 깨끋타다
  2. 깨끄타다

I think #2 is the correct way but when I listen to this word's pronunciation on Google Translate, which you can slow down, it sounds like #1.

• 깨끄타다 is the only correct pronunciation for 깨끗하다. Do not trust Google Translate; it can give you wrong pronunciations (and also mistranslations). – Klmo Jun 17 at 10:37

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Korean sound system has a meaningful distinction between "깨끋타다" and "깨끄타다". In other words, there is not a meaningful difference between /V1 ㅌ V2/ vs. /V1 ㄷ ㅌ V2/, where V1 and V2 are some vowels.

So it's a bit like asking whether English "taillight" is pronounced with one l or two l's: the point is moot, because English does not have the distinction.

| improve this answer | |

깨끄타다 is correct way because ㄷ and ㅎ conjunctures.

1st step. 깨끗하다->깨끋하다 (음절의 끝소리 규칙)

2nd step. 깨끋하다->깨끄타다 (음운 축약)

The first step happens when the last phonology is not ㄱ,ㄴ,ㄷ,ㄹ,ㅁ,ㅂ,ㅇ and the latter word has a meaning. When the first step happens, the last phonology becomes one of the letters I mentioned above. As 깨끗하다= (깨끗+하)+다, and 깨끗 and 하 have meanings, 깨끗 becomes 깨끋.

The second step occurs when ㄷ, ㄱ, ㅂ meets ㅎ when pronounced sequently.

• ㄷ+ㅎ->ㅌ,
  • ㄱ+ㅎ->ㅋ,
  • ㅂ+ㅎ->ㅍ.

깨끋타다 will emphasize your opinion.

Also ㄴ,ㄹ,ㅇ,ㅁ have some difference with other consonants, as we wrinkle when we pronounce these consonants. So 충분하다 doesn't conjugate to 충부나다.

• On Naver and Google translate, 충분하다 is pronounced like it's written, i.e. "충분하다". They definately do not say "충부나다". – James Feb 20 '18 at 3:04
    @James it's possible for ㄴ+ㅎ pronunciation to be different from ㄷ+ㅎpronunciation – user17915 Feb 20 '18 at 3:32

Middle sound of G and K is required when you speak ㄲ

[G'K] ae [G'K] eut Ha Da

in korean [깨끄타다] is right way to pronounce.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.