Take the following two phrases:

실례합니다 (excuse [me])

신뢰합니다 ([i] trust/have confidence in)

Please help me understand any nuance of sound between the two.

I would say 신뢰 is more to trust or having confidence than to believe.
    – YONGAR
    Jan 19 '18 at 23:20

The first character of both words are pronounced same as "실". The second characters make the differences. "실례" is pronounced just as it is written. "신뢰" is read as either "실뢰" or "실뤠".

To be personal, I read the second one as "신뢰". Actually I just found out today that the standard pronunciations are "실뢰" and "실뤠". (reference)

Added: As @WEBjuju commented below, 'w' sound will be heard in "신뢰" meanwhile 'y' sound will be heard in "실례".

• I put "Hi!" at the beginning of this post but that greeting erroneously removed by Stack Exchange. I don't know why... So let me greet here: Hi!
    – JSong
    Jan 15 '18 at 7:18
  • Hi! Thanks for the answer. I will think over your points, and if I have clarification on the difference I'll accept the answer. Jan 15 '18 at 11:48
  • okay, i was not aware of naver dictionary and it's very cool pronunciation "player". in listening to that, i hear a clear "w" sound in 신뢰 whereas 실례 is closer to a "y". i'm on the fence as to whether to accept your answer or put in my notes that your answer led me to; for now, i've +1 you...perhaps if you agree with me findings here, you can make them yours. Jan 15 '18 at 14:06
  • Hi, thanks for your comment. I will add the information (w and y sounds) to this answer.
    – JSong
    Jan 16 '18 at 5:40

Native Korean here :)

실례 -> [실례]

신뢰 -> [실뢰] -> [실레/실뤠]

For speaking, [ㅚ] is pronounced as[ㅔ/ㅞ]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.