It was said on this question in a comment that

조사 "하고(and)" cannot occur together with to 을/를. So if you want to use "하고(and)", it must be "이것하고 저것을 해"

Summarized from a book I have from 연세 University in Seoul, there are 4 ways to use ~고 as a conjunctive ending:

1. Two or more sentences are simply listed.
  2. Two events take place concurrently.
  3. Two events are in a temporal relationship. THe first event precedes the second.
  4. Depending upon the verbs used, the first action still continues while the second takes place.

Examples:

1. 새가 울고 꽃이 핍니다 Birds sing (cry), and flowers bloom
  2. 나는 피아노를 치고 동생은 노래를 불렀습니다 I was playing the piano while my sister sang
  3. 손을 씻고 저녁 식사를 합니다 (We) wash our hands and eat supper
  4. 형이 새 옷을 입고 외출했습니다 My brother went out wearing new clothes

From what I'm seeing here, ~고 is a conjunctive ending that fully separates two verbs. How can two verbs separated by ~고 not then also themselves each have their own object to modify with or without 을/를?

1 Answer 1

I think you might have misunderstood my comment. (Well, that's the problem with comments: it's too short and I can't go back to edit it.)

하고 can mean at least three different things:

1. The verb "하다" (do), with the suffix "-고" (... and).

산책을 하고 집에 들어왔다.

2. 조사(particle?) "하고", with the same meaning as 와/과 (and).

하고 미역국을 먹었다.

3. Used to quote someone. (I think it's also 조사, but for some reason I can't find it in Naver dictionary.)

선생님께서 "빨리 가자." 하고 말씀하셨다.

In my comment, I'm talking about (2): 조사 "하고" cannot be used together with 은/는/이/가/을/를, even when it is attached to subjects or objects:

철수하고 영희가 도착했다. (O)

철수가하고 영희가 도착했다. (X)

선물하고 카드를 받았다. (O)

선물을하고 카드를 받았다. (X)

Therefore, if you see "-을/를 하고", then it can be only case (1), where "하고" is the verb "하다" + ending "-고". Here are a few examples where they contrast:

[밥하고 미역국]을 먹었다. I ate rice and seaweed soup.

[밥(을) 하고] [전화를 걸었다]. I cooked rice, and made a call.

[숙제하고 가방을] 차에 실었다. I put my homework and backpack in the car.

[숙제(를) 하고] [가방을 차에 실었다.] I did my homework, and put my backpack in the car.

As you can see, "숙제하고 가방을 차에 실었다" can be ambiguous.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.