enter image description here

I started reading a 만화 and came across a sentence that looked like this:

오늘 아침도 바압 하고 우는 나초의 보챔으로 눈을 뜹니다.

I understand most of this sentence (talking about how she is waking up to the cries of her cat Nacho). However, I don't understand the usage of "하고" plus "우는". What is this grammatical concept?

• The verb “하다” has tons of meanings. This is one of them: Sense Ⅴ. (의성어 뒤에 쓰여) 그런 소리가 나다. 또는 그런 소리를 내다., Sense Ⅵ. (인용 조사 없이 발화를 직접 인용하는 문장 뒤에 쓰여) 인용하는 기능을 나타내는 말.. Oct 6 '18 at 10:24

하고 here is a way of quoting the actual sound made. You can think of it as another member of the 다고 / 라고 / 냐고 / 자고 set of quotationals. It makes sense here because '바압-' is a representation of the actual sound the cat is making.

오늘 아침도 바압 하고 우는 나초의 보챔으로 눈을 뜹니다.

Today, yet again, I opened my eyes to the whines of Nacho who was crying 'baaaab-'

If you wanted to see 하고 __는 as a pattern, then you could replace '_' with a verb related to speaking or making a noise, e.g. 부르다, 말 하다, 소리치다, 속삭이다, etc.

They aren't related.

나초, the cat, is crying...

From the verb 울다 to cry:

우는 새 singing bird

우는 아기 crying baby

~고 as a conjunctive ending

The ~고 ("and then") is a conjunctive ending connecting the order of the actions, first making the bap-meow and then crying or perhaps having the actions happen simultaneously...it can be interpreted about four different ways.

~도 conveys the meaning of inclusiveness

도 is like "too". She's indicating something like

Today, too, I woke up to...

Here are other examples of how to use it with nouns:

• 저도 학생이예요 I too am a student
  • 그는 테니스도 잘 쳐요 He plays tennis well too

~도 can also put emphasis when used with other particles, adverbs, or verbs

If used in this way, she's indicating something like

Even today, I woke up to...

Here are some other examples of how to use it for emphasis:

• 일요일에도 회사에 나갑니다 Even on Sunday we go to the office
  • 한국에도 친구가 많아요 Even in Korea I have many friends
  • 저 기차는 빨리도 달리는군요 That train runs very fast
  • Nacho is a cat. So, if 하고 is just being used as a conjunction, I don't understand why they used "도" after "오늘 아침". "Also today and I open my eyes to the sound of Nacho crying". It would make more sense to me if they said something like "아침이고" I thought 하고 was only used between nouns?
    – Hani Honey
    Dec 28 '17 at 20:48
  • In "이것을 하고 저것을 해", "하고" can only be the verb "하다(do)" with -고 ending, i.e., "[I/you/someone] do this, and do that". Note that 조사 "하고(and)" cannot occur together with to 을/를. So if you want to use "하고(and)", it must be "이것하고 저것을 해". (In that case I think 하고 can be read in two ways, either "do this and that" or "do this and do that".)
    – jick
    Dec 30 '17 at 2:19
  • @jick this is interesting. [can you help me understand this better please?(korean.stackexchange.com/questions/3181/…) Dec 30 '17 at 16:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.